Angelina Jolie’s Backwards Max Azria SAG Awards Gown

I was sent a message from a reader who said I was wrong to say that Angelina Jolie’s dress was backwards to how it was presented on the runway.

I’m sorry to say it, but I still do believe I’m right.

The dress has the same kimono style sleeves, the same deep-plunge, the same gathered elasticated waisted line, the two flaps on either side of the plunge, and the same detail on the skirt.

Angelina was never going to wear a dress with such a deep plunge, so wearing it back to front was her compromise.

These two dresses, which I was told were the same, are not the same in my opinion. Not even close.

I don’t even think the materials are the same. The sleeves are definitely not the same, and this runway dress does not have an elasticated waist.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Judge for yourself.

UPDATE: Thanks to DolceLorenzo, who watched Fashion Wrap Up were Jennifer Rade – Angelina’s stylist – confirmed that she did wear the dress back to front.

Source & Source & Source

Jennifer Lopez In Charbel Zoe - World Cup Opening Ceremony

Jennifer Lopez In Charbel Zoe – World Cup Opening Ceremony

SAG Awards Trends - Halter Neck Gowns

SAG Awards Trends – Halter Neck Gowns

20 Responses to Angelina Jolie’s Backwards Max Azria SAG Awards Gown

1. MatteaAM January 26, 2009 at 15:29 #

you definitely are right, but i just love the way angie wears it other-way-round. i think she looks amazing and i love the way shes not wearing figure-hugging dresses like everybody else.
    but than again, as you said it, she would look great in a potato sack…
    xD

2. Laura Deerfield January 26, 2009 at 15:57 #

I liked the dress on her, but thought the hair made her look matronly. It’s far too old for her.

3. Rock*Star January 26, 2009 at 16:10 #

WOW ! she doesn’t look bad AT ALL !

I would never think about wearing a dress back to front.
    But she pulls it off SO WELL !

4. WendyB January 26, 2009 at 16:22 #

All I know is I have a couple of pieces I wear back to front — because they’re low in the back and I want them low in the front!

5. Ling January 26, 2009 at 17:11 #

If Angie wasn’t going to go for a plunging front then maybe she should have worn the beige-y dress shown – even that would have been a little bit more exciting than wearing the blue dress back to front!

6. OnCloud9 January 26, 2009 at 17:56 #

looking good in a potato sack does not actually mean you wear a potato sack though

which she has done

again and again

7. Nikki January 26, 2009 at 18:42 #

I think I have the answer to this issue. JustJared posted a full body pic of Angie. The back of the dress appears to have quite a train. If the dress was front to back, she would be tripping all over it and it would have looked odd. She may have had it modified so that the the bottom of the dress stayed the same while the top of the dress was sewn front to back. As she's added to her family, it seems that she's gotten a lot more modest. I think she wore the dress the way that it was intended to be worn.

Here's JJ's pic: http://justjared.buzznet.com/gallery/photos.php?yr=2009&mon=01&evt=pitt-sags&pic=brad-pitt-sag-awards-2009-04.jpg

8. Meg January 26, 2009 at 19:31 #

She’s been looking matronly for a while, nothing new here. Obviously the designer sorted out the length of the train for her since she was wearing it back to front.

9. whitestroke January 26, 2009 at 21:11 #

You’re right about this. She wears the blue dress ‘wrong’, only the designer modified it for her in that way.

Btw, that other beige-y dress looks perfect for her for the Oscars. Now that Katie Holmes stole that black shapeless Escada dress in front of her nose. I mean, let’s not kid ourselves, we’re only gonna be even more disappointed. It’s not like she’s being saving Monique Lhuillier all this time for the finale.

10. Lauren January 26, 2009 at 21:52 #

I know this is the same style she’s been wearing alot lately, but she does look amazing!
    I love how she wears it back to front! Not many people would even chance doing that but she did and she pulls it off!

11. SET January 26, 2009 at 23:35 #

I agree she wore it front to back, The other dress is a totally different dress.

12. carrie January 27, 2009 at 01:36 #

we thought Angie’s outfit was a bit too plain for a formal event – so we gave her Aretha Franklin’s hat – http://www.bloomacious.com/bloomacious/2009/01/mapping-inaugural-influence-arethas-hat-is-sweeping-the-nation.html

13. Lisa January 27, 2009 at 03:23 #

THIS WOMAN IS SO BORING
    everyone is starting to notice:

I much prefer to see fashion disasters walking the red carpet… at least they’re TRYING

Is she doing this for her image?
    Because bland clothing does not correlate with being a good mother. There are tons of great moms in Hollywood that look consistently amazing on the red carpet: Heidi Klum, Reese Witherspoon, Kate Beckinsale… the list goes on

She needs to either make an effort or get off the red carpet.

And you’re right about the dress.

14. DolceLorenzo January 27, 2009 at 03:56 #

I watched Fashion Wrap on TV Guide tonight and her stylist said that, yes, she wore it back to front.

15. Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 04:58 #

I don’t really care if she wore it back to front. I love that she has a different style to everyone else and I also respect that she’s trying to be a little more conservative now that she has kids. I would be horrified if my mother wore some of the dresses that appear on the runway.

Good work Angelina for sticking to her magnificent style that truly does work so well for her.

16. Fashion Critic January 27, 2009 at 05:45 #

Thank you for the official confirmation DolceLorenzo.

*does happy dance*

17. Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 06:21 #

It makes her look PREGNANT again.

18. Jess January 30, 2009 at 04:47 #

Yahoo has an article about this today too. You are days ahead of the mainstream news media!

19. Fashion Critic January 30, 2009 at 11:07 #

I know Jess, I makes me laugh.

They all had to be told by the stylist, whereas I spotted it straight away.

The sad thing is the person who prompted me to write this story, has not even come back and said, “So you were right and I was wrong”, I would have if I was wrong.

20. Shami September 30, 2009 at 00:25 #

I wish she would have worn it the right way to cover those horrid tattoos.