23.01.09

Social Events Of The Week

“Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans” Los Angeles Premiere

Rhona Mitra wore a white strapless Giambattista Valli Spring 2009 dress, with a ribbon tied to the waist.

The dress was kept plain, unlike the embroidered version which was presented on the runway.

She completed her look with her hair loosely tied back, silver peep-toes, and John Hardy jewels.

Kate Beckinsale is also in this movie, so I am surprised she wasn’t at this premiere.

Garcelle Beauvais also wore a strapless dress with a ribbon tied to the waist, but hers was black with a tulle overlay.

“Valkyrie” Amsterdam Premiere

Carice van Houten stole the limelight from Tom Cruise wearing a stunning red Valentino Fall 2008 gown.

Nomad Two Worlds Preview Exhibit, New York

Anna Wintour arrived at this event wearing a modified Prada Spring 2009 snake print dress, with black and white stripes under her coat.

The dress is one of the few dresses I really liked from this collection.

W Atlanta Buckhead Hotel Grand Opening

Michelle Trachtenberg wore a silver grey jersey Catherine Malandrino draped neckline dress, which had a black beaded belt.

She completed her look with a black Swarovski clutch, and black strappy sandals.

I love people who wear bright colours on the red carpet, and Sophia Bush does not disappoint wearing this pumpkin coloured mini BCBG Max Azria Fall 2008 dress, with a tan/black belt tied to the waist.

She completes her look with green suede heels.

Art LA 2009 VIP Opening Night Reception, LA

Rachel Griffiths nude dress which gathers on the hip, perfectly compliments her skin tone.

She completed her look with snake skin pumps, and a gold clutch.

6th Annual ‘Living Legends of Aviation’ Awards Ceremony, LA

With her distinctive hairstyle, Calista Flockhart arrived looking stunning in a simple navy Azzaro vintage gown, which had diamante detailing.

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” Paris Premiere

Head to toe greys? Really? I didn’t ever believe I could be this underwhelmed.

Angelina Jolie gets more and more boring with every red carpet appearance.

Her coat is by Akris, and her top and pants are from the Ralph Lauren Black Label collection.

Source

Jennifer Lopez In Charbel Zoe - World Cup Opening Ceremony

Jennifer Lopez In Charbel Zoe – World Cup Opening Ceremony

Golden Globes Celebrity Inspired Gowns

Golden Globes Celebrity Inspired Gowns

21 Responses to Social Events Of The Week

1. Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 13:38 #

Oh angie looks fine. How many of these things have the probably been to recently? If I had what, 6 kids, I wouldn’t even get out.

worse*

2. Fashion Critic January 23, 2009 at 13:41 #

*they

3. Cry January 23, 2009 at 14:14 #

Simply in love with Sophia’s orange dress! It’s so cool..!! And the belt detail is very original.. But why green shoes??

4. Nikki January 23, 2009 at 14:54 #

I think Rhona Mitra looks gorgeous.

Love the color of Sophia Bush’s dress but I don’t like the belt. It looks weird with the buckle just hanging. Maybe it would have been better if she used a sash or something.

5. Flora January 23, 2009 at 15:30 #

Kate Beckinsale is probably not there as both her ex husband (the lovely Michael Sheen) and her current one (Len Wiseman) were both in attendance, as the director and star. They’ve obviously got over the awkwardness in private, but having your picture taken together but be taking things a bit too far…

Or maybe she’s just run out of strapless white gowns she can wear?

6. Fashion Critic January 23, 2009 at 15:54 #

LMAO @ maybe she run out of white gowns to wear.

So probably true.

Thanks for the background story, it helps piece the puzzle together

7. Sarah January 23, 2009 at 17:49 #

I actually like Angelina’s look in the last picture….
    Calista’s, not so much.. She looks stick thin!
    Carice stood out most for me in this post!!

8. Sergio January 23, 2009 at 17:59 #

Sophia Bush dress is BCBG Max Azria Fall 2009

9. Sergio January 23, 2009 at 18:00 #

i mean Fall 2008, sorry

10. WendyB January 23, 2009 at 18:01 #

I think Anna’s hair would make a good winter hat.

11. Fashion Critic January 23, 2009 at 18:21 #

Sergio, thanks a lot. :)

12. whitestroke January 23, 2009 at 18:28 #

Actually, Kate Beckinsale is not in that movie. That’s third Underworld movie, and the reason why Kate and her husband Len Wiseman weren’t there was because they technically don’t have much to do with it. First two Underworld movies were directed by Len. (That’s how they met!) Kate and her then-boyfriend (they were never married!) Michael Sheen starred in them. This third movie is directed by someone else, and Rhona Mitra is the leading actress instead of Kate. Michael is the only one of the trio reprising his role. ;)

Carice outshining Tom might be intentional. She’s from Holland, maybe she was supposed to be a star of the premiere in her home country.

Sophia is wearing BCBG Max Azria Fall 2008. I love that look, including the belt and the choice of shoes. I really liked that collection. Both that one and Spring 2008. I was disappointed with the shapelessness of Spring 2009.

13. whitestroke January 23, 2009 at 18:46 #

I stand corrected, though. Apparently, Len DID attend the premiere because he was one of the producers, but I guess that wasn’t a reason enough for Kate to join him. If he was the director of this one as well, she’d probably be there, even if she wasn’t in the movie. Like Rachel Weisz kept attending almost every premiere of The Wrestler because her fiance Darren Aronofsky directed it. Directing seems to be a bigger deal than producing for your A-list fiancee/wife to come along.

Or maybe Kate really ran out of strapless white gowns. LOL

14. Fashion Critic January 23, 2009 at 18:53 #

yes he was there.

But on IMDB she is credited as appearing in the movie as Selene

15. whitestroke January 23, 2009 at 21:59 #

Yeah, it’s quite confusing to me, too. It’s only a cameo in the last scene, I think. If you go to the IMDB page of the movie itself, she’s not even on the first page of the cast. This new movie is basically a prequel, depicting what was happening before Kate’s character from the first two movies (Selene) was even born. Just found an official explanation: Kate Beckinsale as Selene (Beckinsale did not film new footage, a scene from the first Underworld was used to bookend the film.)

16. Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 22:59 #

I actually like Angie’s coat but not for the red carpet or a premiere…she had that horrible hair the other day and now this…surprising.

17. Jordan LaDiva January 24, 2009 at 08:13 #

Angelina, I love her and she is such a beautiful woman, but she disappoints me a lot of times on the red carpet, I am just waiting for the day she walks through the red carpet with a KNOCK-OUT gown. I hope my wish comes true on Oscar night.

18. Ruthless MEME January 24, 2009 at 09:32 #

I thought I was the only one who found Brangelina boring….. at least I know I’m not alone…….

19. Fashion Critic January 24, 2009 at 13:16 #

Jordan, I agree with all your points.

I have my fingers crossed for Oscar night too.

20. myrsa January 24, 2009 at 14:33 #

angelina jolie do not deserve to be on your blog. she is getting worst and NOT EVEN TRYING.

21. Leo January 24, 2009 at 14:40 #

Carice van Houten has this great air of power woman about her. She looks great with statement dresses like this. Plus, I have a huge thing for Valetino red.

Sophia Bush wrapped herself as a present as an early Halloween costume.

Rachel Griffiths looks great, the shoes are a bit heavy for the look but she still shines.

Calista looks like she came running in the rain.

Angie, oh Angie. Big snore…