21.01.09

Michelle Obama Wears Jason Wu To The Inaugural Balls

I knew she would surprise us. Michelle Obama did not pick any of the obvious choice designers for the inaugural balls, but 10% of you picked Jason Wu in my poll, so well done to you.

The First Lady looked exquisite wearing a white chiffon one-shouldered gown by Jason Wu.

The gown had floral appliques, stunning beading, a full skirt and a long flowing train. Her Loree Rodkin jewels included a large diamond ring, bangles and 5 stone drop earrings.

According to Associated Press, “Wu said he sewed the dress himself as late as December. He said he sent sketches to Obama at the suggestion of Ikram Goldman, who owns the Ikram boutique in Chicago where Michelle Obama has been known to shop. He did not know she had selected the dress until she appeared in it, he said. “It’s soft, feminine, but powerful; I wanted to convey all that in a dress”, he said. “I wanted it to look like a sign of hope.”

Jason Wu will be added to the virtual shelves of Net-A-Porter.com next month, which will be very exciting, both for us and the designer.

President Barack Obama wore a custom tuxedo made by Chicago-based designer Hart Schaffner Marx.

The Obamas were serenaded by very proud Beyonce during their first dance at the Neighborhood Ball, were she sang Etta James’ At Last. I really admire her for finishing the song. I’m in floods of tears over here.

I adored the dress, but what did you think?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us  Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source

Lea Michele In Juan Carlos Obando - 'Legends Of Oz: Dorothy's Return' LA Premiere

Lea Michele In Juan Carlos Obando – ‘Legends Of Oz: Dorothy’s Return’ LA Premiere

Best Dressed Of The Week - Victoria Beckham & Michelle Obama

Best Dressed Of The Week – Victoria Beckham & Michelle Obama

21 Responses to Michelle Obama Wears Jason Wu To The Inaugural Balls

1. boogie January 21, 2009 at 09:34 #

I think it’s a great dress and she looks beautiful, but reminds me too much of a bride.

2. Cleopatra January 21, 2009 at 09:50 #

fashion critic thanks for making this interesting for us. jason wu was on my list too and it is very appropriate. what a night it was last night, honestly, i cried like a baby. her dress is a slam dunk as far as im concerned. white for peace and hope.

3. robbie January 21, 2009 at 10:20 #

she looks amazing, im so proud :D.

they look beautiful together and that dress is stunning. they look amazing, and i cant wait til obama get started on fixing all the screw up george bush has left.

*cries*

4. Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 11:07 #

beautiful dress – looks great against her skin. They both look so smart :)
    very good choice :)

Lexa

5. Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 11:55 #

Beautiful.
    She’ll be an amazing First Lady, as fashionable as Jackie Kennedy.

Although I’m from Poland and have nothing to do with USA, I also cried when I watched their first dance. They looked wonderfull and were so happy.

Dominika

6. Anne January 21, 2009 at 14:46 #

Decided that I like the dress because of the embellishments and the layered fabrics which make the dress very light and feminine.

I just can’t completely eliminate the associations to a wedding gown because of the colour..

Hm..

But: It definately could have been much worse :)

7. Ahot January 21, 2009 at 15:18 #

LOVE IT! But honestly i am still schocked that beyoncé was the one to stand out as singer there. I was looking for Mimi since she got an incredible voice. Poor choice for me.

8. heather ♥ January 21, 2009 at 15:58 #

i think the dress is stunning! as for the colour- i was watching CNN last night and it is common for the first lady to wear white to the inaugural balls… they listed at least 5, if not more, who have in the past… i think its a lovely dress, a lovely colour against her skin and they are such a gorgeous couple!
    im not american either- but i cried as well at many points yesterday watching it all on tv!

9. Moi January 21, 2009 at 16:22 #

I agree with Anne. It’s not that bad, but it doesn’t really have a wow factor. I think it’s a safe choice, and I do approve.

10. Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 16:40 #

i dont like it, mediorce and it would be better if it was boat neckline

11. Leo January 21, 2009 at 16:56 #

Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.
    If this indicates anything, it’s the start of such a fashionable time in the white house. I love how she picks up and coming designers. Jason Wu is brilliant.

12. nicole January 21, 2009 at 18:09 #

LOVE IT.. they are a cute couple.
    and beyonce blew me away. her dress is stunning do u know who its by?
    i started to cry when B cried too so lovely.

13. whitestroke January 21, 2009 at 18:13 #

Looks beautiful on the photos. I’m slightly relieved. I was so disappointed when I saw it on TV last night. Maybe it was the lightning, but it looked washed out, and while Barack held a speech before the first dance, she kept fidgeting, tugging on the skirt like she’s not comfortable in it.

Is there any place on Earth where one could hide from Beyonce? She seems to be everywhere I look these days. I think the world is ready for a huge Beyonce break, so that people miss her a little bit.

14. ecrunner January 21, 2009 at 18:25 #

I thought the dress was pretty. SHe wore it well at least. As far as the pictures, it seemed to look better at some angles than others. What I mean is there were shots taken where the waist looked to high and others where it seemed to lengthen her torso, which is always flattering for a woman. I only saw a few moments when I had the chance on my wireless internet connection, but had I seen more I might have better judgments.

15. Nikki January 21, 2009 at 18:34 #

I won’t say that she’s like Jackie O, because she still has a long way to go. But I do like her style. The gown was pretty and feminine. What I especially loved about it is that it was sexy yet elegant…still appropriate for a First Lady.

16. drinkupthefashion January 21, 2009 at 18:47 #

she looks brilliant in that dress. ah-mazing.

beyonce did SUCH a good job, and on top of that she looked gorgeous as well.

17. Jess January 21, 2009 at 19:05 #

They both look awesome.

I thought it was the perfect dress for her – the white looked amazing against her skin.

I loved their dance to Beyonce – they’re so into each other

18. Raquel January 22, 2009 at 03:38 #

I’m torn. Her makeup is *flawless*, her hair is nice, her president hubby is efortless elegant, she has great arms, but the more I look at it, the more I dislike the dress. Mainly, I hate the color. It screams debutante.

19. Ladybrille.com January 22, 2009 at 07:09 #

I thought the color was perfect and detailing but had issues with the functionality. A train when you have ten balls to attend and where you can’t seem to dance, it created too many akward moments and no fluidity.

I also feel that with as broad a shoulder Michelle has, a strapless gown would have been better.

I like Jason’s work and have attended his shows and his parties but I also felt that the cut could have been more flattering. At times it made Michelle look bigger than she really was.

Uduak

20. dc88tigger January 22, 2009 at 21:27 #

I was interested in what the girls would wear because of the sketches. Do you happen to have any pictures of them? I know you don’t usually feature them, just wondering.

21. Lambertini January 30, 2009 at 22:07 #

It’s unfortunate that some would limit themselves because of colour associations (Wedding dresses,etc.) I actually think that as a wedding dress this one would be sparse. I loved this choice as an inauguration adornment that suited the First Lady’s figure and occasion. I also like the Obama’s penchant to surprise and delight! Remember her appearance on ‘The View’?