12.01.09 Best Dressed

2009 Golden Globe Awards – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award
What more can be said about the stunning Olivia Wilde, that has not been said already?

She was one of the first to hit the red carpet in her exquisite Reem Acra Bridal Spring 2008 gown.

The gown had an jewel detail on the hip, and a gorgeous ruffled skirt.

Most Dramatic Award
Finally some Versace Spring 2009 on the red carpet.

January Jones was one of the few to bring drama to the red carpet wearing a Versace one-shouldered gown, with gold trim folds for added detail.

Biggest Hair Award
Drew Barrymore was stunning on the red carpet. Her hair was teased into a big style ala Marylin Monroe.

Her grey/blue John Galliano gown hung delicately off her shoulder, as she channeled Old Hollywood.

Best Gown Award
Maggie Gyllenhaal looked charming wearing a blue leopard print Lanvin Spring 2009 asymmetrical gown, which was presented on the runway in a much shorter style.

Best Strapless Gown Award
Jennifer Morrison’s electric blue Oscar de la Renta Pre-Fall 2009 was beautifully complimented with her blue stone Lorraine Schwartz earrings, which were made specially for the dress.

Best Dressed Brit Award
Kate Winslet did us Brits proud, not only in the style stakes wearing this YSL strapless gown. But by also winning the Best Supporting Actress award for The Reader.

She sparkled in Chopard jewels.

The Turn Back Time Award
I don’t know how Demi Moore does it, but she must bottle it, and sell it.

Demi showed us why she is married to a much younger man, when she walked the red carpet wearing this cute pink Christian Dior Spring 2009 haltered gown.

The actress turned back the clock at least 20 years.

Best Black Award
Evan Rachel Wood’s Elie Saab Fall 2006 Couture black tiered gown, was by far the best black dress on the red carpet, as it shimmered as walked.

Again there is not a hit of Dita von Teese.

Best Asymmetrical Dress Award
I am so proud of America Ferrera, because she didn’t wear black, as I was expecting her to.

Instead she opted for this silver asymmetrical Oscar de la Renta Pre-Fall 2009 dress, which was actually presented in black.

I love the gathered detail on the skirt, and the embellished detail on the neckline.

Most Vibrant/Best Red Award
Eva Longoria’s red Reem Acra gown, more than stood out against the red carpet. The actress who is just recovering from a cold, showed no signs of illness as she looked red hot.

She completed her look with a Daniel Swarovski silver clutch.

Most Improved Award
I really love this Reem Acra Pre-Fall 2009 gown on Rumer Willis.

Finally she has found a dress that compliments her hair.

Most Va Va Voom Award
I thought Hayden Panettiere looked outstanding, as she brought out the sex kitten wearing this Gianfranco Ferré Spring 2008 strapless eggplant gown.

This dress may look familiar, and that’s because it’s from the same collection as the dress Jennifer Morrison wore to the People’s Choice Awards.

Best Floral Award
Jenna Fischer looked ethereal in a multi floral print silk chiffon V-neck Zuhair Murad Resort 2009 gown with crystal embellished waist.

She completed her look with Chopard jewels.

Best Curves Award
Salma Hayek wore a figure-hugging Bottega Veneta gown, which shows us that my sexy senorita is back to her beautiful best.

She completes her look with Boucheron jewels.

If It Ain’t Broke Don’t Fix It/Another Strapless Gown Award
Kate Beckinsale is starting to become really predictable.

Yes she has a body to die for, and look fabulous in this J. Mendel gown. But I hope for her next red carpet appearance she wears something other than a figure-hugging strapless gown.

Best Over 40 Award
It not all about the youngsters. Kristin Scott Thomas more than held her own on the red carpet wearing a silk champagne Lanvin gown with sash neck-tie.

Good, But Not Great Award
Angelina Jolie’s shimmering Atelier Versace gown with a thigh-high split is not black – thankfully.

Best Couture Award
Anne Hathaway’s Armani Privé Fall 2006 gown was embroidered with Swarovski crystals. I wanted to be more wowed by her dress, but she does look absolutely stunning.

Best Necklace Award
Beyonce was not going to take any risks tonight, so she returned to her old friend Elie Saab who created this stunning strapless Spring 2008 Couture embroidered gown.

For those of you who watched the red carpet show on E!, you would have noticed that the dress was a little tight around the hips on B.

I really liked Beyonce necklace, which complimented the jeweled detail on the gown.

Best Colour Co-Ordination Award
I love how Christina Applegate complimented her yellow Roberto Cavalli strapless gown with yellow Lorraine Schwartz jewels and yellow diamond clutch.

Best Nude Award
Nude dress and gowns were very popular at this event, but for me Elizabeth Banks’ J. Mendel Spring 2009 ruffled gown, stood out the most.

Click here for the Worst Dressed.

Source

35 Comments
2009 Golden Globe Awards - Worst Dressed

2009 Golden Globe Awards – Worst Dressed

More From The 2009 Golden Globes Red Carpet

More From The 2009 Golden Globes Red Carpet

35 Responses to 2009 Golden Globe Awards – Best Dressed

1. Kelly January 12, 2009 at 06:14 #

Olivia Wilde is seriously gorgeous. I totally disagree about Drew Barrymore though… I thought her hair looked horrible and the dress was unflattering. I also thought America’s dress washed her out. I’ll be interested to see who the readers pick as best dressed!

2. Anonymous January 12, 2009 at 06:14 #

I agree that Olivia Wilde was very beautiful but isnt that the same dress beyonce wore a few weeks back.

3. Doc January 12, 2009 at 06:19 #

Olivia dress is the same as Beyonce’s from the 40 Principales awards in December. It’s also supposedly Roberto Cavalli not Reem Acra.

4. Anonymous January 12, 2009 at 06:27 #

Just like her good friend, Drew Barrymore did not touch up her roots too.And I really can’t agree on Angelina Jolie. She’s been predictable and boring these days.

5. Stephania January 12, 2009 at 06:40 #

I love the dresses on the best dressed list and Rumer certainly has improved. I wish i could steal Demi Moore for 24 hours and grill her on her anti-ageing secrets! I noticed Vanessa Hudgens isn’t on any of the lists…so i’m guessing she falls into the Meh-Dressed category…lol.

PS: Love your blogs

6. Arasto January 12, 2009 at 06:49 #

You give Beyonce and Angelina WAY too much credit. Always.

7. WendyB January 12, 2009 at 06:49 #

I think Maggie’s is my favorite…it’s the one I would most want to wear.

8. Arasto January 12, 2009 at 07:02 #

One more thing — the dress on Hayden P is nice but NOT nice on her.

Her body is very tube-like. Hence a strapless column dress does not suit her.

She needs to learn how to better dress her body. She needs built-in curves.

9. SydneyCheapChic January 12, 2009 at 07:22 #

Reminder that Kate Winslet also won best actress for Revolutionary road. woohoo!

10. M Rose January 12, 2009 at 07:42 #

Elizabeth wins my Golden Globes award. I hate to be gossip column crude but during her E! interview I could not help but envy how amazing her assets looked. I adored the dress as well. I gasped when I saw Rumer Willis, her body is stunning. I wish she would stand up a little straighter though. Hayden Pannettiere is the knockout of the night. The interesting shape of the gown hides the fact she can come off as a little boxy and broad shouldered.

One person I would have liked to see get Best White was Amanda Seyfried. I covet her gown, which I am fairly sure is Stella McCartney. It’s available on net-a-porter.

I wouldn’t have included Jennifer Morrison though. I felt like I could have seen it at a grade 10 formal(a bit like junior prom?)

11. nicole January 12, 2009 at 07:54 #

reem acra is on fire… gorgeous dresses! i agree with all except drew and maggie .. didnt like them at all.. kate winslet looked so good and i was so happy for her!!

12. Nikki January 12, 2009 at 07:59 #

I love love Olivia Wilde’s outfit. She’s becoming one of my favorite on the Red Carpet.

I’m not a big fan of America Ferrera’s look. I’m not sure if it’s the dress itself or it just doesn’t look good on her. She should have picked another silhouette.

I love Hayden Panatierre’s gown, but I think that she should have picked a happier / “younger” color.

I like January Jones’s gown…and her jewelry too as well as the color of Christina Applegate’s dress with her bright red lipstick.

13. Michelle. January 12, 2009 at 08:12 #

I definitely agree with most of your Best Dressed choices, especially Olivia Wilde. That dress was just completely fab although very reminiscent of something Charlize Theron has worn before. I do disagree with some choices. Drew Barrymore, love her dress but not her hair. The cleavage on Hayden’s just turns the dress off for me.

I do have to add more women to the Best Dressed List. Laura Linney looked amazing in yellow, I think more so than Christina Applegate. Isla Fisher and Vanessa Hudgens would also be in my Best Dressed.

14. stacey January 12, 2009 at 08:13 #

Ugh, I am just so disappointed. This is like the worst Globes fashion ever. So many of the dresses were just boring. I don’t even like alot of the “winners.”
    The best imo are Eva Longoria, Kate Winslet, Olivia Wilde, Drew Barrymore (didn’t like the hair though). Drew and Eva might actually be my favorites.

January’s looks cheap, Maggie G’s looks cheap…too much white and tan in general. And lastly, Jennifer definitely looked J-Lo, I totally agree, but at least there was some drama there. You can see she is desperate to be perceived like she was in her J-Lo days, in the green P-Diddy dress. Although it does look a bit desperate, I think that she pulls it off.

15. Ruthless MEME January 12, 2009 at 08:26 #

I LOVED Olivia Wilde’s dress…… she looked STUNNING……. But she and Rumor Willis basically wore the same exact dress….. lolz…… they both looked great……

If you didn’t notice….. Drew Barrymore look is in comparision to Beyonce’s look at last year Grammy’s…… you should post a side by side pic of both looks….. lol……

Evan Rachel Wood…… is this the one that keeps copyin’ Dita Von Teese????…….. She looked STUNNING…. I love me some Elie Saab…..

Speakin’ of Elie Saab….. I KNEW IT….. I KNEW IT….. I KNEW IT….. Beyonce returned to Elie Saab….. I knew she wasn’t gonna give him up permenantly….. she went out of that Gareth Pugh phase….. and slowly went to Zuhair Murad….. another Lebanese designer….. to her main Lebanese designer….. Elie Saab…….

Anne Hathaway….. it’s always a delight to see her…… she’s the only person besides Dita Von Teese…… who can rock that pale look……

I have to disagree wit’ you…… on Kate Beckingsale….. out of all of the strapless dresses seen on the Red Carpet….. hers was the most interesting…..

Hayden Panetierre…. she has a wierd shaped body….. but her dress was BEAUTIFUL…….

Salma Hayek… she is STUNNING…….

Christina Applegate….. looks stunning….. she is a brave woman……

Elizabeth Bank’s nude…. was cute……

J.LO shut them other bitches down……. she had it for me……

And Angelina…. I think you’re being too nice to her….. because she looked a dog on mess…… her look was BORING…….

16. ivette January 12, 2009 at 08:41 #

i am so happy for kate who won 2 well deserved awards she looked great one of my favorites!!

i also loved maggie her dress is gorgeous
    i wasnt such a big fan of drew’s hair.

i also noticed you didnt mention Laura Linney i thought she looked great!!

17. Anonymous January 12, 2009 at 08:56 #

WOW! so many absolutely breathtaking gowns :)
    I love January’s Versace gown and Hayden’s egglant Ferre gown!
    and Evan’s and Anne’s are so beautiful against their milky skin!
    and so many outsatnding jewels!

thanks FC :)
    Lexa

18. Anonymous January 12, 2009 at 09:45 #

I just looked through some photos from last night and I have to say I loved Sandra Bullock in Dior! Beautiful!

Lexa

19. Nikki January 12, 2009 at 09:56 #

Oh just to add, I think Madeline Zima should be included in the Best Dressed list. I just loved her gown.

20. Kyutipye January 12, 2009 at 11:29 #

I know Kate Beckinsale did another gown, but WHAT A GOWN! she is instantly forgiven for sticking to gowns/playing it safe, and I know thats why she is on this list. That is one to-die-for gown.
    Angelina,what a let down. I thought she does the black so that she can blow us away, but she hasn’t done so.*sigh* oh well at least she didn’t wear black.
    Eva, oh Eva! she is just perfection. I would have picked her for best dressed.no one can touch her.
    Evan Rachel, Demi, Drew, Kate Winslet, Jennifer Morrison, Salma and Elizabeth Banks all look gorgeous.
    The rest (sorry Bey), are just ok, except for Kristin Scott Thomas and Maggie Gyllenhaal, who I don’t think should even be on this list.

21. Anonymous January 12, 2009 at 11:34 #

My Top 5 BEST dressed:
    1. Kate Beckinsale
    2. Jennifer Lopez
    3. Demi Moore
    4. Jennifer Morrison
    5. Vanessa Hudges

Electra.

22. lily January 12, 2009 at 14:52 #

And here they are: FC’s awards. Yay!
    It’s so amazing- I just came home from university where my friends and I had some seroius discussions about our #1 Best Dressed and who designed which dress- and when I scrolled down your page I was just like “Wow? How did she do THAT?”. Thanks so much. Maybe you aren’t an E!-Red Carpet reporter (yet), but your lists- wow, I (and my friends)agree on almost everything.
    Oh, and I like Maggie Gyllenhaal’s dress best- it wasn’t predictable at all (like Kate B.’s one) and she looked even a little bit fashion forward.
    But I am really disappointed of Heidi Klum, (my fellow german, what did she think wearing such a… thing??) Anne Hathaway (although you’re right, she looked quite good) and Eva Mendes (somehow she reminds me of Cameron Diaz in her pink Dior dress at last year’s Fashion Rocks- strange?)
    Ha, I missed the Globes.

23. Fashion Critic January 12, 2009 at 14:54 #

glad you enjoyed it Lily.

You are right about Eva and Diaz. I never thought of that.

24. Anonymous January 12, 2009 at 15:00 #

Wow… What a dresses!! What do you think about Melissa George, I don’t know whose the dress but, well she looks really interesting and at least a little bit different, don’t you think?

25. drinkupthefashion January 12, 2009 at 15:39 #

first and foremost. ANNE HATHAWAY LOOKS AMAZING. <33333333333333
    to rachel zoe and to anne–congratulations on making the right choice. on not going too overboard and not being too boring. the color is beautiful, not too loud, but totally unexpected and i love the beadwork and the swooshy skirt. and look at how long her neck is!
    the color on olivia wilde's dress is so breathtaking. it's the most beautiful shades of lavenders and lilacs and cotton candy violets/light pinks. she looks great.
    i love elizabeth band's dress! look at how small her waist is! i wish she had worn her hair a different way though.
    b looks pretty good. but that dress is tight on the hips.
    i was so glad to see salma looking sexy again. she looked so nice.
    wow hayden! you have officially impressed me. she looks fab.
    and yes! RUMER WILLIS! <3333333 you looked excellent last night.
    eva looks really good, i can tell she's sick though. her smile isn't as wide as it usually is.
    demi and evan look so gorgeous. yummy!
    and jennifer morrison <33 you look like a barbie doll. you're so beautiful. i love the dress, your makeup, the earrings, the hair, everything!
    i love that maggie g. took a risk but still looks so elegant. i want that dress even though i really wouldn't have anywhere to wear it.
    drew looked fab too, i wasn't sure if you'd like her.
    ok, i'm done! hahaha :)

26. robbie January 12, 2009 at 15:52 #

beyonces boobs look too big for that dress, but she does look good for once, less tranny and less trying to hard.

anne looks pure perfection, that colour look great against her pale skin :D.

kate beckinsale *yawn*, one of the more boring dresses at te event.

selma looks amazing.

rumer looks okay, but during her interview with ryan seacrest she annoyed me, she said “i think” so many times.

eva red hot, hilarous seeing her try to walk up the steps.

kate AMAZINGGGGG!!!!!!! imple but not too simple.

drew looked so good, that hair was huge it would put beyonce to shame.

christina looked stunning, i love her necklace.

27. Rebecca January 12, 2009 at 16:34 #

Thanks for the great pictures, details and comments. I really enjoyed the best and worst list as you put it into context of whether you felt it suited the person or was taking a chance for them. Not the usual superficial dribble that gets spouted. Usually I just check out your VB blog. I don’t know how you work a day job with all the posting. Amazing!

28. Fashion Critic January 12, 2009 at 16:54 #

I don’t know how I do it either. Phew I am knacked.

29. Leo January 12, 2009 at 23:03 #

January Jones does a great dramatic look, but with a great touch of classic. That’s just flawless.

Also loved Drew Barrymore and Kristin Scott Thomas so much. And Rummer Willis, to my surprise.

Olivia Wilde to me looks so ‘been there done that’, the dress is is reminiscent of many things we’ve seen on the red carpet before and she always does the light colour, basic make-up thing. Plus her hair looks terrible, uninspired.

I’m also not feeling Beyoncé. That dress makes her hips look huge, the slit looks bad and she picked drag queen shoes to finish the tragic look.

Jenna Fischer and Kate Becksinsale made me snore.

I miss Melissa George on the best dressed list, she ties as the best of the best here for me.

Also missed here is Rachel Griffiths looks so incredible also. People don’t give her much credit as she deserves, she looked incredible.

30. whitestroke January 13, 2009 at 00:43 #

Olivia Wilde – absolutely stunning.
    I’d never wear that Versace dress myself, but January Jones is a total knockout.
    The second I saw Drew Barrymore last night I KNEW everyone would be on her case because of the hair. I love big hair, and I don’t remember the last time she looked so good. One of my favorites.
    Maggie – also one of my favs last night. I wasn’t too happy when I noticed a huge slit on the side, but even that couldn’t spoil my joy of seeing her wear something so exciting.
    I didn’t even notice that gown from Oscar’s last collection. Jennifer Morrison OWNS it, though.
    Kate Winslet – OMG! Still pictures don’t do her justice AT ALL. Looks a bit safe and boring, I must admit, but she looked so beautiful on TV. And OMG SO happy for her for winning in BOTH categories. What a shock. I was just as lost as she was. LOL
    The best part of Evan Rachel was the back of her gown. It looked AMAZING on her.
    America Ferrera – so cute. That was my fav dress from that collection and it looks even better in silver.
    Eva Longoria – BORINGVILLE.
    I was like OMG SO BAD when I first saw Rumer, but I think the belt detail saves her. Makes the dress more interesting.
    That dress is completely wrong for Hayden Panettiere’s body shape. I don’t like her style in general. She always dresses SO OLD for her age.
    Oh Jenna Fischer looked good for a change! I’m a huge fan of The Office, but sadly she lets me down more often than not.
    Salma Hayek also looked better on TV. WAY better.
    Angelina Jolie might as well stayed home. It’s in the same ‘too casual’ category for me with Marisa Tomei.
    I admit, I expected more from Anne Hathaway. Might be her own fault, though. She really got us putting our expectations high. Armani Privé is not the kind of thing I expected. I’m heavily undecided about her since she DID look beautiful.
    Oh God, Beyonce… Why do gowns she wears at all the big events always look like they’re 2 sizes too small for her? Then she spends the whole time being awkward and posing even more awkwardly because the woman obviously can’t breathe. And the top half is way too busy for my liking. What with her bust popping up and a huge necklace on the top of it all.
    Soooo in love with Elizabeth Banks. Probably even my Best Dressed. I’ve been trying to make my TOP 5 (at least!) but it’s a really hard choice, I still can’t make up my mind.

You must be beaten with all this coverage, FC. I got a headache just trying to make a comment for most of them. LOL I don’t know how YOU do it, but whatever it is, you must bottle it and sell it. ;)

31. whitestroke January 13, 2009 at 01:11 #

Oh God, I am officially embarrassed by the length of my comment. LOL

32. Fashion Critic January 13, 2009 at 01:13 #

Please don’t be.

Your comments are always a pleasure to read.

33. Vicky January 13, 2009 at 17:59 #

I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said in these three posts, except I think A.Jolie and E.Mendes should switch places.
    Thanks for all your wonderful work covering the award-season!

34. Em January 14, 2009 at 07:00 #

i really love how olivia wild always looks so feminine and ethereal. she chooses beautiful dresses to wear on the red carpet. she’s always get it right but she’s getting a tad predictable to me.

35. Sept January 14, 2009 at 22:13 #

If I see one more white dress on Kate Beckinsale…