11.01.09

The Art of Elysium 2nd Annual Heaven Gala

Eva Mendes had an incredible 2008 on the red carpet, so I am glad she has started 2009 with a bang.

The stunning actress looks outstanding wearing a nude Christian Dior Spring 2009 haltered gown.

The keyhole belted gown has crystals embellished on the top half of the dress, and a long flowing skirt.

This is a poke in the ribs for all those who say my girl plays it safe.

Kirsten Dunst was absent from the red carpet for most of 2008, but it looks like during that down time she didn’t lose any of her flair.

Her silk Valentino gown, had a ruffled collar, and a delicate chiffon petal front bib.

Kiki is back, and looking better than ever.

Ali Larter’s black silk Ralph Lauren Spring 2009 gown is simply magnificent. She carries the gown, which has a gold embellished neckline, with both style and grace.

She is a designer’s delight with a lean body and beautiful face. I could not gush about how much I love this enough.

I’m a little disappointed in Kate Bosworth’s pick of this black leaf detailed Nina Ricci Spring 2009 dress.

Olivier Theyskens’ Nina Ricci Spring 2009 collection was full of these short at the front, long at the back dresses, which just didn’t float my boat.

Kate of all people should have made me love it, but even she couldn’t.

Sophia Bush was exquisitely styled in a white strapless Monique Lhuillier gown. Simplicity at its finest, and I don’t think she has ever looked so good.

Her silver jewels perfected this already perfect look.

Joy Bryant wore yellow Missoni maxi dress, with gold accessories.

This girl never gets it wrong.

I don’t know about you, but there is something not quite right about the fit of Nicole Richie’s Jasmine di Milo Spring 2008 dress.

The top half is heavily embroidered, which no doubt would make it quite heavy. So it’s no wonder that the bodice sits quite low down on her.

I can also see her tit-tape, which is never a good thing.

Marisa Tomei practically lives on the red carpet at the moment, but when you’re hot, you’re hot.

Keeping the same hairstyle from her red carpet appearance earlier in the day, the actress changed into this black and white strapless dress.

The dress had a black bow detailing the bodice, and a white chiffon shirt with black script across it.

Rachel Griffiths wear the colour of the moment – electric blue.

Her 50s silk blue cocktail dress from Decades, is matched with a purple Daniel Swarovski clutch and eggplant heels.

Milla Jovovich wears a headband Mischa Barton would approve of, with her black, yellow and white Pucci keyhole gown.

I hate to jump on the Rumer Willis bashing bandwagon, but she really needs to look back at how great she looked during the House Bunny LA premiere, and try to reintroduce that look to the red carpet. Time after time she gets it so wrong.

Nothing is good here.

Courteney Cox Arquette wears an dress that is not black. Shocker.

Amy Smart wears this red Yves Saint Laurent Pre-Fall 2008 gown with braided detail on the front, which was worn last year by Nicole Kidman whilst she was pregnant with her first child.

I love the colour on Amy, but the style feels too old for her.

Amber Heard went all out in this blood red Dolce & Gabbana corseted dress.

It is a very bold dress, and I admire her for having the guts to wear it, but the feathered bloodied hem is kinda creepy.

A new year, a new darker ‘do for Brittany Snow.

Her Dolce & Gabbana strapless black corseted dress, makes her hips look wider than I assume they are.

I would have liked to have seen something much more slinkier on Brittany.

I can’t remember the last time I saw a high pony on the red carpet.

Shannen Doherty wears a sheer black dress with white floral appliqués. Not the best dressed, but it works for her.

Source

BAFTA/LA Awards Season Tea Party

BAFTA/LA Awards Season Tea Party

Best Dressed Of The Week - Anne Hathaway & Kate Beckinsale

Best Dressed Of The Week – Anne Hathaway & Kate Beckinsale

21 Responses to The Art of Elysium 2nd Annual Heaven Gala

1. Anonymous January 11, 2009 at 18:18 #

Thanks for posting! “Courteney Cox Arquette wears an dress that is not black. Shocker.” Those were exactly my words aswell, I was as shocked as everyone else, i believe.

Eva Mendes, this woman can do no wrong in my eyes, she was totally the best dressed female last year.

Electra.

2. Vicky January 11, 2009 at 19:39 #

OK, I’ll probably get slaughtered for this, but none of these ladies wowed me. Eva Mendes is the best but I’m not overly enthustiastic about her dress. I feel there’s too much going on, the belt, key-hole, halterneck, sequins. Maybe I’m just hard to please today as I’m expecting some great things for the Globes tonight!
    (side note; the dress Shannen is wearing was worn by VB in 2002 or2003 for her TBCpromotion)

3. Anonymous January 11, 2009 at 19:47 #

whassup FC!!!! in the middle of a move so NO INTERNET AND IM MISSING MY DAILY FIX OF YOUR BLOG!!!!!! Just popped by to say hi! will catch up in a week or 2!!!

Rimini

4. Fashion Critic January 11, 2009 at 19:53 #

Best of luck hun.

I moved last month and I made sure that I had Internet the day I moved in.

Come back soon, as I am missing your comments.

5. Fashion Critic January 11, 2009 at 19:54 #

Vicky, I understand.

only Eva, Ali and Sophia would get 10 out of 10 for me here.

6. LILA January 11, 2009 at 19:59 #

This event is full of great outfits my first favorite is, of course Joy Bryant! Joy + Missoni = Ever Winning couple..i couldn't ask for more..and i love her earrings. Milla Jovovich wearing another of my favourite designers completes my joy. Eva Mendes is looking divine, as usual, in her Dior gown, and i love both Sophia Bush's and Nicole Richie's dresses. The downside of this event is Shannen Doherty..i can't even describe how much i dislike her look..for me nothing works..just hideous! Another disappointment is from Kate Bosworth..i never really liked the trend of short at the front, long at the back dresses, which were also in the Balmain spring 09 show. Even Freja, who's wearing the lighter version of this dress in Harper's Bazaar, didn't make me like it. Oh..and i agree, the feathered detail on the hem on the Dolce&Gabbana dress is kinda creepy.

7. denise January 11, 2009 at 20:15 #

I disagree, I totally love Kate Bosworth’s dress, it’s different and so gorgeous! I know award season has just started but I’m already getting a bit bored of the regular old gown, and that one spices it up a bit.

8. Anonymous January 11, 2009 at 20:32 #

Nicole Richie wore a Jasmine Di Milo dress.

Electra.

9. Fashion Critic January 11, 2009 at 21:11 #

Thanks Electra, you’re a star.

10. mau January 11, 2009 at 21:55 #

the best for me is Kate Bosworth

11. Anonymous January 11, 2009 at 21:55 #

Actually, I do like Nicole Richie’s dress though it sits in a funny way. As compared to her good friend, PH, she’s dresses better at red carpet events and is not afraid to take risks at times.

M

12. Fashion Critic January 11, 2009 at 22:54 #

the dress is gorgeous. Its the fit that bothers me

13. Jude January 11, 2009 at 23:26 #

Oh Sophia Bush, I have missed you! Absolutely stunning and as always she makes it look effortless.

Ali Larter looks amazing. Quite a daring dress for Ralph Lauren but she owns it!

14. Anonymous January 11, 2009 at 23:57 #

A bit more help (i know you’ll be busy this night!) Sophia Bush wore a Monique Lhuillier dress.

Electra.

15. Fashion Critic January 12, 2009 at 00:17 #

really appreciated thanks

16. whitestroke January 12, 2009 at 01:17 #

I hate to sound so mean (I think my nerves awaiting for the Globes started kicking in!) but nothing about Rumer Willis ever works for me. I just can’t get over her face. There I said it!
    While I’m on the (mean) roll, I don’t think it’s about the fit of Nicole’s dress itself, as much as it’s about her cleavage looking pretty bad. Her boobs look to be at the point where she should either wear strapless over them, like Joy and Sophia here, or push them up properly to look better.
    Kate Bosworth looks downright awful, and that’s a polite way of putting it. I’m so disappointed, I usually love her. We seem to be one of the few people that didn’t like Nina Ricci Spring 2009. I thought it was a disaster. Only ONE dress out of the whole collection looked about right. I’m not a fan of those kind of dresses in general, but Olivier executed them poorely as well.

I’m not blown away by Kirsten either, but she does look nice. I don’t think of her much as an actress, but I really like her as a person. She’s very down-to-earth and when it comes to fashion, she’s taking risks and is not afraid to go for fashion forward even if she fails. I’ve noticed a lot of people online, who obviously don’t know much about fashion, consider her as one of the worst dressed celebrities, which is sad.

17. Anonymous January 12, 2009 at 01:26 #

kate bosworth is the only one i think actually looks any bit of special. i loved the nina ricci collection however perhaps a pink version would have been more palatable for the “traditional” critics.

18. Zainab January 12, 2009 at 02:47 #

Totally agree with those that think Eva Mendes looks amazing in that dress! But seriously, is it just me or does she always have the same hair on the red carpet?
    I think Courteney looks angelic in her white dress so it is definately nice to see this change

19. Leo January 12, 2009 at 05:19 #

Kirsten Dunst never look so good. That’s just breathtaking and refreshing. It’s lovevy to see her not messy and weird for once.

Another one that was bringing it was Kate Bosworth. I think she wears that dress so well, I agree it’s not an easy dress to love but she can make it work.

The rest nothing stands out to me. I think Eva Mendes looks okay, but the rest, I see a lot of messy styles and obvious choices. Nicole Richie’s the worst, she got a dress in the wrong size it looks like, serious fiting problems.

And what the hell Shannen Doherty was trying with that look? That comes from a bad episode of that show Charmed she did.

20. ~**colette**~ February 3, 2010 at 23:41 #

i LOVE Amber Heards blood red dress it looks absolutely gorgeous

21. Ksenia February 15, 2010 at 00:43 #

This event was skay style wise. Eva was a hit as usual.
    Milla Jovovich brought snazz, as usual but Marisa and Rachel let me down. I can’t warm to their looks.
    Rumer gets points for trying hard and Nicole just doesn’t fit into her dress properly.