06.05.08 Worst Dressed

Costume Institute Gala – Worst Dressed

Most Confusing/Worst Dressed Award
I understand the theme, and I understand that Christina Ricci was going for Wonder Woman here, but the pink ruins what could have been a great Givenchy dress.

Maybe if the pink had been black it would have worked.

Shame.

Not So Golden Girl Award
Mary-Kate Olsen’s custom-made Diane von Furstenberg gold sequined dress had plunging neckline, and a sexy slit, but looks slightly too big on her, which is strange considering the dress is customed.

Her hair is a disaster and ruins anything that is good here.

Worst Hair Award
A pair of straighteners would have sorted that mess right out.

I would have much preferred it if this Calvin Klein dress was a plunge-neck instead of a turtle neck.

Your TV Stylist & Your Red Carpet Stylist Should Meet Award
What is up with Blake Lively lately on the red carpet?

For me she is hitting foul balls left, right and center. Her style started off great on the red carpet, but has been on a downward spiral ever since.

Blake was meant to be the Sarah Jessica Parker of my sisters generation both on and off the red carpet, but it is just not working. She looks about 20 years older than what she is here in this Ralph Lauren Fall 2008 strapless gown with feathered detail….Booorring.

As usual, I expected more for young Blake. Whoever is dressing her for Gossip Girl, needs to sprinkle some of that magic onto the red carpet.

Where was Leighton Meester? She would not have looked this bad.

Most Disappointing Award
This one goes out to Victoria Beckham, David of course looks gorgeous.

I love Victoria Beckham so this hurts, but her dress is too see-through and she appears to have nothing underneath, so I feel like I can see her boobs, her face looks too pale and I usually like her hair up but on this occasion, not so much.

It would also have no killed her to have smiled at least once on the red carpet.

Worst Dress/Shoes Combo
Here is another person I was not expecting to see on the worst list.

Katie Holmes looks great from the ankles up. Her vintage Giorgio Armani red sequined beaded bustier and full ball gown skirt from the Fall 1993 collection is amazing as is her Boucheron jewels, but why OH WHY did she wear those blue Louboutins?

Worst Embellishments Award
I was torn on Mischa Barton’s Missoni dress for a while.

I like the chiffon straps, but I am not so keen on the dripping bead work and the gold skirt with a taupe overlay.

Lame Award
Isn’t it amazing how Michelle Trachtenberg has matched her skirt to her gold lame petal nipple covers?

She is not quite rockin’ this vintage YSL dress in a way I had hoped.

Far Too Safe Award
Sarah Michelle Gellar was far too safe with this black shapeless strapless Bottega Veneta dress.

Worst Hair Accessories Award
I know thanks to Gossip Girl headbands are back, but I am not loving the jeweled headband on Amanda Peet. I am also not crazy about her moody Derek Lam Fall 2008 strapless gown with a matching waist belt.

Most Uncomfortable Award
It looks like Eva Amurri can not breath in this Louis Vuitton Fall 2008 dress.

Eva is a busty lady, and this dress is crushing her lady lumps.

Worst One Sleeve Award
I am NOT a fan of the one long sleeve and this ruins what would have been a great night for Fergie in Calvin Klein.

One-shouldered or even strapless would have worked better.

Worst Use Of Colour Award
Kimora Lee Simmons’ kids did not colour-in her dress. This dress was actually designed like this by Kevan Hall.

Worst Lace Award
I was never a fan of the entire Prada Fall 2008 collection being lace and was hoping not see it on the red carpet.

Unfortunately Tilda Swinton is wearing this Prada Fall 2008 beige lace dress, and to make matters worse, she wore an orange brooch and a green velvet shoes.

Source & Source

Emmy Rossum In Bibhu Mohapatra & Elisabeth Moss In 3.1 Phillip Lim - Variety Emmy Studio

Emmy Rossum In Bibhu Mohapatra & Elisabeth Moss In 3.1 Phillip Lim – Variety Emmy Studio

Costume Institute Gala - Best Dressed

Costume Institute Gala – Best Dressed

14 Responses to Costume Institute Gala – Worst Dressed

1. Chantal May 6, 2008 at 11:54 #

Woah. Completely agree with you on Victoria Beckham, she looks far older than she is and that dress to me looks like a lingerie robe. Love your comment on Michelle Trachtenburg, lol!

Love your blog I couldn’t stay up to watch the gala and your blog is one of the first to have decent pictures up. Thanks!

2. Robbie May 6, 2008 at 12:20 #

WTF is victoria beckham wearing, that looks like my grans curtains, she needs to smile, its no wonder people dont like her, she always looks so sharp and up herself. dont like her lipstick either, but david is looking pretty nice.

why the hell did katie ruin her dress with those shoes? she has looked amazing before but now this.

gotta disagree with you i think tilda looks nice, i just wish she would start wearing a belt and show a bit of waist, as she always looks very masculine.

3. Bryan May 6, 2008 at 15:20 #

i’m going to have to disagree about christina ricci, michelle trachtenberg, and tilda swinton….hey all looked major…but otherwise, dead-on

4. loletta May 6, 2008 at 18:02 #

Wow you have done your homework!!
    Victoria should smile a little, the red lipstick doesn´t suit her, once more Kate Moss looks great and being so stylish just flows in her… where is Sarah Jessica??

5. Grace May 6, 2008 at 18:14 #

I loved Christina Ricci! I thought best dressed all the way.

Worst dressed for me goes to Katie Holmes. A girl like that should know better. And her orange all-over eye make-up was atrocious.

6. kelly May 6, 2008 at 21:03 #

I loved Christina Ricci’s dress. It was edgy and fantastic.

7. cassandra May 6, 2008 at 21:07 #

I also have to disagree about christina!! I think her dress suits the theme to a tee – ditto kate bosworth and naomi watts – and she looks fantastic. Everyone else though, you’re dead right. I was so let down by VB!

8. valerie May 6, 2008 at 21:57 #

If you don’t like Cristina Ricci’s outfit, you don’t get Couture or Style ;-) Sorry but this outfit totally compliments her figure/ face. As for Eva Longoria, I agree with the comment: she looks great in her dress and, it doesn’t matter whether it was worn by other because she wears it very well!

Thank you for the very exhaustive report!!!! It is great to discover your blog!

9. Fashion Critic May 6, 2008 at 22:48 #

Valerie, each to their own.

I just don’t like it. I loved Anna Wintour’s dress, but I you may have hated it.

That is the great thing about opinion’s…everyone has one.

10. Dolce Vita May 7, 2008 at 06:55 #

totally agree with valerie:
    Cristina Ricci’s statued in that givenchy dress. Pink color is working, orthers would kill the dress, especially “black”

11. Mint May 9, 2008 at 11:42 #

Christina looked gorgeous, I think, though the best word for the dress would be “interesting”. I don’t think it was a disaster, but I wouldn’t have chosen it, even with the theme.

Rachel Bilson is a total let-down. Awful hair, awful dress. She looks about 20 years older than she is.

Blake Lively is a big YAWN.

Victoria Beckham looks about 50 in that get-up! Very strict, straight-laced (no pun intended!) and sour. Not a good look, especially next to the dapper Mr Beckham.

Katie kills the dress with those blues shoes and I do believe there is major overusage of orange eyeshadow. Very disappointing as well, especially as Tom Cruise looks rather nice.

I don’t think Mischa Barton is quite as bad as all that. If the dress cinched her waist, it would be better, but as it is, it’s original and interesting and not all together bad.

Eva Amurri was another disappointment. I don’t know how she managed to live out the night in that dress. Maybe she needed resuscitation?

Fergie and Kimora Lee Simmons are both awful. As for Tilda Swinton, I can’t say I’m disappointed or enthused. I don’t think it’s a horrific outfit. Not the best she’s worn but not the worst, either.

12. Anonymous May 10, 2008 at 13:59 #

so many beautiful dresses but why am i drawn to kate bosworth’s? that girl can do no wrong; she even pulls of the makeup without looking pretentious and simply oozes with glamour and that ‘star quality’ w/o trying (AKA Victoria)! edgy, fashion foward, quirky yet looks comfortable and so naturally cool…definitely one of my style stars. often i don’t even realise it’s her before i say ‘wow’.

btw, love blake’s look, right down to the gloves.

drop waists (aka Sophia’s) are so beautiful.

and i thought the woman next to ashley was her very ‘wise’ stylist or some other showbiz persona…until i took the 3rd glance and realised it was marykate looking about 50. I think the dress couldve actually worked otherwise.

i could talk all day!

13. lala May 15, 2008 at 20:28 #

I surprised Kimora picked that dress…she normally has great style! what happened!?!

14. Hedda Hopper February 16, 2011 at 13:38 #

Well, it really is all relative. These are all incredibly beautiful, stylish women. But it brings up a painful truth about American women: if the dress dies, they have nothing else to save the night! The emphasis is never on developing a personal fashion style here, but A dress, and only A dress. If you walk through Galeries Lafayette on a Saturday afternoon, the women do the freaky thing over something very plain, or vice versa, and the designer is Joe Blow from anywhere. You can have both a designer dress and a true personal style, but none of these people really dress artistically, just fashionably. That’s a real liability.