06.05.08

Costume Institute Gala – Best Dressed

Best Dressed Award
Camilla Belle NEVER lets me down. She is always stunning, always well put together and always smiling so beautifully.

Last night she wore a gorgeous Armani Privé Spring 2008 gown.

The aquamarine silk organza tiered gown had an origami Swarovski crystal encrusted ribboned one shoulder strap, with the same detail on the hip.

Pretty In Pink Award
No glitter, no over the top bling (apart from her wedding ring), no big hair, just Beyonce letting this Giorgio Armani Privé pale pink strapless silk organza gown speak for itself.

Her hair was pulled back to reveal those amazing earrings.

That shade of pink lipstick beautifully to compliments her gown.

Not a hint of Tina Knowles. Adore her.

Best White Award
Naomi Watts wore a Theirry Mulger pleated white halter gown with jeweled detail and matching pleated throw, which evokes images of old Hollywood glamour, especially with her beautifully styled hair.

If not for Camilla, she would have won Best Dressed.

Best Ruffles Award
Kate Mara’s canary yellow Zac Posen Spring 2008 one shouldered belted gown is stunning. I am glad she wore her hair back to allow the dress to shine.

Best Black Award
Ziyi Zhang always looks stunning in Giorgio Armani Couture. She last wore an Armani Privé gown to one of the Oscar parties this year, and last night she dazzled in another Giorgio Armani Spring 2008 Couture gown.

This black one shoulder silk organza gown has a fitted bustier, with black patent and Swarovski crystal details with origami-like ribbon flowers that cascade down the skirt.

Golden Girl Award
Taylor Swift definitely the golden girl wearing a Badgley Mischka Fall 2008 gold and bronze ombré sequin and crystal fishtail gown. The colour works well with her milky skin.

She accessorize her look with Badgley Mischka Couture shoes, Badgley Mischka jewelry and a gold Badgley Mischka clutch.

Drop dead gorgeous.

Best British/Blatant Copy Award
Although Cat Deeley’s feathery Burberry dress is almost an exact copy of Mary-Kate Olsen’s dress from last year, she does look amazing in it.

Best Versace Award
Many others wore Versace last night, but Amber Valletta’s stood out for me.

I adored this Versace Couture Spring 2008 metallic blush gown with and voluminous shoulder detail when it was first presented back in January. I imagine it on an exotic beauty like Penelope Cruz, but Amber more than does this dress justice.

Bravo for Mr Armani for getting the stunning Julia Roberts in something other than black.

She is amazing in this platinum Giorgio Armani Privé gown.

The scooped neckline is delightful, and is accented by an antique brooch.

The beading on a mesh overlay really brings this gown alive.

Most Daring Award
Lake Bell is usually a cute dresses type of girl, but went vampy in this Balmain Fall 2008 crystal-embroidered lightning bolts leather dress and Burberry heels.

Best Cape Award
Bravo to Thandie Newton for being one of the only celebrities to wear a cape to this Superhero’s event. Her strapless lace dress and cape is from the Chanel Fall 2008 collection.

Best Snap-Back Award
Did Jennifer Lopez really have twins?

You would not think so seeing her here in this asymmetric tiered gown, with jeweled detail. Back to her beautiful best.

Most Improved Award
I hated Sarah Larson’s Oscar dress, so I was happy to see her improve dramatically, in this black vintage Giorgio Armani black one-shouldered beaded silk jersey gown, from the Spring 1997 collection.

Best Va Va Voom Award
Gisele Bündchen not only brought along Tom Brady, who looks very dapper in his Versace suit, but she also brought her A game. I swear my chin almost hit my table when I saw her in this pink Versace Fall 2008 halter-neck gown.

S T U N N I N G.

Best Superhero Theme Award
In this silver embroidered dress Chanel Haute Couture dress, Anna Wintour is very much living up to the “Superhearo” part of the “Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy” theme.

She looks like she could save the world in this dress.

Who needs a clutch when you have those pockets?

Best Fantasy Theme Award
Scarlett Johansson wore Dolce & Gabbana, but it was her huge ring that most people were looking out for, following her announced that she and actor Ryan Reynolds were engaged.

She was one of the few that got into the spirit of the event, wearing this cute nude fairy ensemble.

Best De Ju Vu Award
When I saw Eva Longoria in this Marchesa Fall 2008 strapless ruffled gown, I instantly thought of Lucy Liu’s Zac Posen dress to the same event last year, and Jessica Alba’s Oscar dress. But Eva stands alone looking drop-dead gorgeous in her own gown.

For once the dress is not skin-tight nor does it have an open back.

Most Daring Award
Ashley Olsen’s black keyhole dress was custom-made by Diane von Furstenberg and she looks amazing and very sexy in it.

Maybe Ashley felt a little self conscious in her dress, because I could not find one photo of her not at her sister side.

She is still loving the nude make-up I see.

Best Yellow Award
Molly Sims always turns it up a notch on the big stage. Last night she wore a stunning haltered yellow Versace Spring 2008 jersey gown, with gorgeous Chopard jewels.

Best Strapless Award
This Michael Kors dress that Mary J Blige is wearing is simple, yet not boring, sophisticated and well suited to her shape.

Her earrings are slightly over the top, but I can forgive that for her looking so amazing in this dress.

Best Mini Award
For this prestigious event you would not expect many to wear a mini cocktail dress, but Diane Kruger did, and with amazing results wearing Alberta Ferretti.

The dress was gathered throughout and had a jeweled detail on the shoulder. The fuschia peep-toes were a nice touch.

Her beau Josh Jackson is happy to let his girl shine, as he stands back in a white/black tuxedo from Alberta Ferretti.

Best Monochrome Award
I love it when Dita von Teese wears something other than just black.

This Marchesa Fall 2008 strapless black and white embroidered gown with feather detail on the hem, is just the kind of dramatic dress I would expect Dita to wear.

Dita does not do safe.

Best Designer Award
If ever there was an award for Best At Wearing Your Own Clothes, it would have to be given to Donatella Versace.

Donatella looks beautiful in her own designed strapless fleshy peach coloured dress, with an embroidered detail which nips in her tiny waist. To add further glamour, the dress is completed with train.

Just OK Award
I don’t love Emmy Rossum in this Phi dress, but I don’t hate it either. It is just OK.

Emmy should really start saving the magnificent dresses she wears to smaller events, to big events like this.

She accessorized her dress with Chopard jewels and a Mary Norton clutch.

Best Colour Award
Eva Mendes aqua dress is stunning against her caramel skin.

This Calvin Klein dress itself is very interesting in design with its varying shapes.

Eva’s stunning jewels are by Bulgari.

Best Embellishments Award
This would not be a prestigious event without some Elie Saab bling.

Hilary Duff, who a guest of Allure magazine, was lucky enough to wear this stunning Elie Saab Spring 2008 Couture gown. I would have preferred one of the bigger stars to have wore this gown, but young Hilary does it justice.

Most Consistent Award
Do I really to say how much I LOVE this red satin Dolce & Gabbana gown on Iman?

Oh my lord she is killing me with her perfection.

The bodice is a very familiar style for Dolce & Gabbana, but they have added a full skirt and a jeweled detail on the hip to give Iman that oomph, that helps her radiate her beauty.

Best Campaign Girl Award
Jennifer Connelly, the face of Balenciaga does not let Nicolas Ghesquière down in this Balenciaga Fall 2008 black and white dress.

Even her sky high heels are from the Fall 2008 collection.

Her necklace is amazing.

Most Colourful Award
Kate Bosworth like Diane Kruger, also did not opt for the long flowing ball gown. Instead she wore this psychedelic vintage Chanel couture dress with a jagged hem.

Her colourful Pierre Hardy shoes gave the allusion from the front that she was not wearing shoes, but they had a transparent strap.

Having The Most Fun/Best Accentuated Waist Award
Kate Moss with and wearing Stella McCartney, looked to be having the most fun at this event.

Kate’s dress was beautifully accentuated with a silver belt, over her dove grey scoop-neck chiffon dress.

Best At Staying In Character Award
The sequin detail on the bodice of Kristin Davis’ Michael Kors Fall 2008 is beautiful without being too over the top. Very Charlotte York McDougall Goldenblatt.

Best Use Of Colours Award
Normally I with ruched bodice, oversized bow, uneven hem and multi-coloured tiering of this Peter Som Fall 2008 dress, I may have been put off, but Maggie Gyllenhaal is one of the few who could pull this dress off.

Her Christian Louboutin Rosazissimo feather shoes are a perfect compliment.

Simple Yet Sophisticated Award
Sofia Coppola, who will be taking over from Victoria Beckham in Marc Jacobs next advertising campaign, keeps it simple in this stunning white satin Marc Jacobs drop waist gown.

Borderline Award
Michelle Monaghan wore this this burnt J Mendel one-shouldered gown. I particular love the leaf detail.

Best Rock n’ Roll Award
Zoe Kravitz kept to her unique style in this sea green crushed velvet gown. She added at touch of glam with a white feather boa.

Source & Source

Costume Institute Gala - Worst Dressed

Costume Institute Gala – Worst Dressed

The Rest Of The Best & Worst @ The Costume Institute Gala

The Rest Of The Best & Worst @ The Costume Institute Gala

15 Responses to Costume Institute Gala – Best Dressed

1. Chantal May 6, 2008 at 11:59 #

Camilla Belle and Giselle are by far the best dressed. They look gorgeous. I also really like Ashley Olsen’s dress and it’s nice to see her smile and fresh-faced but perhaps she could’ve done something else with her hair, and is it just me or does she look a lot taller than her twin sister.

2. Robbie May 6, 2008 at 12:29 #

every dress sheer perfection especially iman, does that women ever fail on the red carpet? seems not! :-).

donatella, so beautiful in that dress she wears her clothes better than the models do.

ashley looks stunning, sadly it cant be said for her sister though :-O.

emmy looks pretty nice.

diane oh diane how i missed her on the red carpet, never fails just like iman every thing she wears is perfection!

3. Ling May 6, 2008 at 13:39 #

All gorgeous, Camilla Belle’s dress is probably my favourite. Emmy Rossum’s dress looks like a little dull which is surprising since it was apparently picked out for her by Anna Wintour. Maybe she wanted to save the best for herself?

4. Anonymous May 6, 2008 at 14:37 #

It’s sad that some of these people don’t go along with the theme, it’d be a lot more fun AND they need to learn to have fun!
    The pics of the Olsen twins is REALLY weird, MK’s face looks horrid and Ashley’s eyebrows… yeh.

5. Anissa May 6, 2008 at 16:28 #

I also loved Bee Shaffer, in the ombre Nina Ricci. I also thought that Claire Dane’s black Narcisco Rodriguez was a bit boring from the front, but the back was very striking and very catwoman-esk. Julie Chen also nicely surprised me, as it was very sexy and daring.
    I really loved Liv Tyler as well as she looked like a regal amazonian queen in her black Calvin Klein.
    Did you like any of those?

I thought too many played it too safe. They were supposed to be superheroes/villans and they looked like most red carpets with the exception of some who tried by adding a cape or some drama…

6. carla May 6, 2008 at 18:55 #

I knew this was the site to check first! My favorites are Naomi Watts and Eva Mendes, the latter of whom always brings it and is woefully underrated. She’s so womanly and stunning!

I love your daily commentary, but one quibble–Dita’s garment isn’t monochrome (one color)-it’s duochrome (two colors).

7. mandy May 6, 2008 at 19:41 #

gisele bunchen and dita von teese are astonishing. my god! absolutely breath-taking. btw… any notice that rihanna is missing? she is one of the top fashionistah.. where d hell is she?

8. cassandra May 6, 2008 at 21:11 #

j’adore Kate Bosworth. Camilla Belle is stunning – but I’m not so sure about the shoes? Naomi Watts looks absolutely fantastic and I like that she worked the superhero thing into her gown, while still looking elegant and beautiful! Jennifer Connelly looks pretty incredible also, oh, and I like seeing something a little more interesting on Ms Wintour!! Zac Posen is worthy of a mention, too! I love the costume institute gala – best red carpet event of the year!!

9. e May 6, 2008 at 23:57 #

the olsen twins look bad. the one in gold (i get them confused) looks like an old granny witch, especillay with the poor posture. and the lack of makeup at a red carpet event, on the other, looks disrespectful of such an event. woeful.

eveyrone else so far is looking beautiful, magnificant! thank you for the great coverage!

10. peach May 7, 2008 at 01:30 #

I’ve never thought Naomi Watts to be such a great beauty, but I stand corrected. She looks incredible.

11. snippet May 7, 2008 at 05:47 #

Is Kate Mara wearing the same Zac Posen that Frances Bean Cobain wore in her editorial? It looks quite familiar, probably due to the striking yellow colour.

Right on with the Deja Vu award, although I had deja vu for a slightly reason… My first thought was, “that’s a longer, purple version of a Marchesa dress Michelle Monaghan wore recently”. I’m not a fan of ruffles so all these ruffled dresses are too much for me.

When I saw the picture of Naomi Watts, my first thought was, her dress looks like one of those beautiful white sea shells. Gorgeous. I know this is a bit of an unusual choice and I’m sure no one will agree with me, but it’s my favourite out of all of them for its striking, but simple details.

My other favourites… Donatella shows off her fierce body like only she can do… for Iman there are no words to describe how incredible she looks… I love Thandie’s cape, and her shoes are quite interesting and different.

12. Cleopatra May 7, 2008 at 14:52 #

what an incredible round up. but let’s get serious for a second…

could gisele have a better body?

honestly. seriously. Could she be any more money than she is in that picture?

she has every right to be perking up her butt the way she seems to be doing.

honestly, if i had her frame, i would do wonders with clothes.

13. Mint May 9, 2008 at 11:32 #

Naomi Watts is breathtaking! The dress, hair and make-up are all beautiful, and she is a QUEEN at this event!

Who knew Julia Roberts had such fabulous curves? She looks fantastic in that Armani dress! Go Giorgio!

Trust Thandie Newton to bring some fun into an event. She looks fabulous in her Chanel outfit AND adheres to the theme! She looks way better than the model who wore this on the runway did, as it does not look the slighest bit like lingerie on Thandie.

Gisele is awe-inspiring! My jaw dropped when I saw her, too. Every guy in the world must be wanting to punch Tom Brady into a pulp for being so lucky.

Anna Wintour doesn’t seem to age. Isn’t she in her late forties/early fifties? I know she’s had a demi-facelift, but do they really work so well? I don’t like her Chanel dress – didn’t like it on the runway either – but she still looks amazing.

Bee Schaffer was best-dressed in my opinion. I don’t think any dress could beat her stormy purple wonder. All I can say is WOW!

I like Ashley Olsen’s dress but I really don’t think the nude make-up and straggly hair look is appropriate at such an event. As for Mary-Kate – absolute train-wreck. Both girls were frankly very disappointing.

Diane Kruger is a hero – what a dress, what accessories, the girl’s got guts and AMAZING style! Rock on, dudette!

Dita Von Teese looks her usual immaculate, beautiful self.

I actually don’t think Emmy Rossum’s dress is as bad as people think. I think it’s lovely, and she looks drop-dead gorgeous in it, with beautiful hair and make-up. She could have done a lot worse – but, then again, it’s Emmy, so I don’t think she’d descend to the Olsen twins level.

Iman is STUNNING! She so doesn’t look her age. Was her ex-husband David Bowie her date for the night?

Kate Moss has breasts! Who knew? ; ) She looks great, as does her lovely friend Stella McCartney.

14. Fashion Critic May 9, 2008 at 13:56 #

Thanks for your comments Mint, much appreciated, but are you sure Iman and David are no more?

Say it aint so.

15. Ksenia February 14, 2010 at 22:22 #

Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour shouldn’t be able to get away with everything, including this hideous Chanel Haute Couture sculpture.
    ~Gotta give props to Lake Bell for bringing in some lightening and being bold.
    ~Iman let me down with that bright red dress that I think ages her
    ~The Olsen twins Mary-Kate and Ashley look unimpressive. Mary Kate looks like a mess in her gold gown that is too big- the sleeves are to big and the shoulder pulls on the waist. Ashley’s black cut-out dress is sexy but not thrilling.