25.02.08 Worst Dressed

Oscars 2008 – Worst Dressed

Worst Dressed Award
I love Tilda Swinton and her very unique style – which is not to everyone’s tastes – but I just did not like this Lanvin dress.

I hated that one long shoulder. It really did not work for me.

Risk That Failed Award
Julie Christie tried to be edgy, tried not to conform to the norm by choosing a cocktail dress which she designed herself along with long pink sheer gloves from the Louis Vuitton Spring 2008 collection, but just ended up looking very confused.

Worst Pouting Award
Miley Cyrus posing and pouting was SOOOOOOO inappropriate. So many young girls would have tuned in the Oscars just to see a 15 year old girl, pouting like Paris Hilton.

Her Valentino Resort 2008 red gown was stunning though, thankfully not to short nor revealing.

She completed her look with Neil Lane jewels and a Mary Norton clutch.

Most Disappointing Award
The L’Wren Scott diamond necklace was too over powering on Nicole Kidman’s simple custom-made Balenciaga gown. The necklace was obviously designed to detract you from her baby bump and it worked.

The looks is completed with a Bottega Veneta clutch.

Worst Haute Couture Award
Sarah Larson was way out of her league in this Valentino Spring 2008 Couture strapless gown.

Girlfriend did not own it. She just hobbled alongside George Clooney, smiling like a Miss World contestant.

This is why I love Keisha Whitaker so much. Keisha owns a dress, and outshines her husband Forest, despite him being the star.

Sarah’s hair is also terrible. It is a little lighter in colour than usual, but she could have put it up or done something different.

Worst Hair Award
I was not crazy about Jennifer Garner’s hair. For an updo I found it a little messy on the left-hand side.

I was not particularly in love with her black silk taffeta Oscar de la Renta fishtail gown either. The skirt was way too busy.

Jennifer wore Van Cleef & Arpels diamonds and a Roger Vivier clutch.

Back To Black Award
I was not shocked that Ellen Page wore black tonight.

Her in vintage gown from Jean Louis Scherrer Haute Couture collection was just a tad boring. I loved how they tried to jazz up her outfit with the long Fred Leighton necklace, but it was not enough.

Her metal and metallic leather hard frame vintage Judith Leiber purse completed the look.

DeJa Vu Award
Amy Adams emerald green strapless satin Proenza Schouler gown gave me a touch of deja vu, back to last years Oscars, where Isla Fisher’s look was very similar.

The dress itself is beautiful, as she is in it, but she loses points for not being original.

Amy teamed her dress with an Art Nouveau French gold-mesh purse by Fred Leighton that would not even fit a credit card.

Worst Pregnant Award
After Cate Blanchett looked amazing in Vera Wang at the Spirit Awards, I had high hopes for her Oscars dress.

Unfortunately she let me down big time in this Dries Van Noten gown. What I particularly did not like was the neckline. It was a little bit to busy for me.

Her look was completed with Lorraine Schwartz jewels and a Roger Vivier clutch.

Worst Use Of Colour Award
Ryan Seacrest called the colour on Kelly Preston’s Roberto Cavalli dress “stop-light amber”. I just call it hideous.

Most Boring Award
Rosamund Pike RM by Roland Mouret dress is a pretty colour, but I was nothing but bored by it. It’s the Oscars, jazz it up a little.

When Will You Get It Right On The Big Night? Award
I love this Roberto Cavalli white dress, especially the snake-skin beaded detail, but I really disliked the way her breast sat in the dress. Very unflattering.

Source & Source

Looking Back At The 2007 Oscars, Looking Forward To 2008 Oscars

Looking Back At The 2007 Oscars, Looking Forward To 2008 Oscars

Oscars 2008 - Best Dressed

Oscars 2008 – Best Dressed

9 Responses to Oscars 2008 – Worst Dressed

1. Anonymous February 25, 2008 at 07:51 #

Ugh, Jennifer Hudson just looked awful. Kelly Preston’s dress color was indeed horrible, especially on her. Not her color, she has a cool skin tone. Rosamund Pike, boring and looked much skinnier than usual, in a bad way. Cate, agree, liked the dress not the neckline. Those redheads look very flattering in the green though, have to give them that. As for best…while I’ll give you the Miss World thing, Sarah Larson’s Vanentino dress was my fav of the night. Stunning, and I thought she looked good in it. I was bored by most of the dresses this year. I thought Nicole’s dress was gorgeous, but agree the necklace was too much. It detracted from the dress rather than complimenting it. Otherwise too many people wore red and black dresses that all sort of ran together. Looking forward to seeing some more dresses posted!

2. Madi February 25, 2008 at 08:48 #

I, as usual, agree with almost all of your choices. I am so glad you gave Miley Worst Pout because I just can’t stand when she does that. She’s been doing it a lot lately and I really wish she would stop. I do like her dress, but her hair didn’t work for me.
    I also agree about Nicole Kidman’s jewelry. At first glance, I thought her necklace was part of the dress.
    I actually did like when Jennifer Garner was wearing. What I didn’t like was her choker-style necklace.
    I wasn’t surprised by how Ellen Page dressed either. She’s very tomboyish, so I wasn’t expecting more from her.
    I absolutely loved Amy Adams’ dress; hated the purse, though. And wow, at first I thought you were showing a picture of Amy the year before. She and Isla look nearly identical!
    When Jennifer Hudson came on screen during her presentation (I totally missed her on the red carpet) I said, “Please tell me I’m not seeing this.” She looked awful in this dress. You’re right, it did not flatter her at all. It made her look bigger.

3. Riina February 25, 2008 at 13:18 #

I kind of agree with Ellen Page, but then again that’s what I was expecting. I have to give her credit for staying true to herself, she’s clearly not comfortable when all dressed.

4. Anonymous February 25, 2008 at 22:05 #

miley cyrus’s posing is HORRIBLE! her dress is great but the hair and make up r awful! she looks terrible!!

5. Avi February 26, 2008 at 00:21 #

I have to say, even though Jennifer Hudson’s breasts did look a tad abstract in that dress, her appearance was still a massive improvement over last years “bolerogate”. As for Ellen Page, ok I understand that she is not into fashion and prefers the tomboy look… but there is just no excuse for this inextricably bland piece of fabric floating down the red carpet, she could have at least worn it in navy or something! I will have to disagree with you about Jennifer Garner though, she looked flawless and she worked that dress (and handled being attacked by some z list actor on the red carpet rather well).

6. Avi February 26, 2008 at 00:23 #

Oh, also…. I am sure that Nicolas Ghesquire most be pissed that Nicole Kidman chose to compliment his simple dress with a broken chandelier!

7. Anonymous February 26, 2008 at 01:02 #

I agreed with many of your choices except for those of Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchette. I thought both looked stunning. I thought your comments were grossly unfair. You try and look and FEEL glamorous when you are pregnant!!! I believe Cameron Diaz’z hair was worse than Jennifer Garners. Diaz wears stunning clothes and always looks like she’s just got out of bed. Tilda Swinton and Jennifer Hudson both were the worst. When is Jennifer going to get a decent stylist?!!!

8. Montana February 26, 2008 at 04:21 #

I wish Miley wore something a little edgier. After all, she’s still young. Jennifer Garner was one of my favs of the night along with Heidi Klum and Jessica Alba. I loved Jennifer Hudson’s dress and her bangs. I didn’t really notice how weird she fits in it until you pointed it out.

9. Fashion Critic February 26, 2008 at 11:29 #

Anon, their pregnancy had nothing to do with it.

I love both Cate (especially) and Nicole Kidman because they are always flawless on the red carpet. Cate looked better at the Spirit Awards than she did at the Oscars. The dress did not flatter her at all pregnant or not.

Nicole necklace was TOO much and that was my issue with her look.