Celebrities Love…Herve Leger

Noted for his curve-contouring bandage dresses Herve Leger was a huge fashion hit in the 1980s. The body-con look was recently revisited by Christopher Kane and Proenza Schouler and the label is back (without the designer himself at the helm) for fall 2007 with a collection based on Herve Leger vintage pieces.

Sewn entirely by hand, they are sold under the Herve Leger Couture label.

Signature style: Obandage dresses are the company’s trademark. His designs are based on the simple principles of Lycra and spandex-rich fabrics pulling the body into the desired hourglass shape.

They now have their own website – HerveLeger.com and Net-A-Porter.com are finally selling Herve Leger on their site, but you have to be quick. On the first day the dresses launch on the site, they sold out within an hour.

The dresses celebrate the female form, the line of dresses has already garnered modern-day fans.

Who loves him?

Rihanna. She wore the white strapless ruffled dress to BET Awards in July this year. The blue skirt she wore to the ceremony in which Venus named her “Celebrity Of The Year”. The pink dress she wore in February to the Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Awards Party and the strapless blue dress she wore in December 2006 to the LG Billboard After Party.

Victoria Beckham. Whenever there is a popular designer Victoria Beckham is always one of the early adopters. Unlike most celebrities Victoria is most likely to wear her black dress to go shopping in London, a shocking pink halter number to go house-hunting in LA, a purple and silver number to sit front row at Marc Jacobs Spring 2008 collection or a tangerine strapless dress to go out for dinner in NYC.

At the 2006 Fashion Rocks event, the Pussycat Dolls each wore a different Herve Leger dress. They were all sexy and all cleavage enhancing, especially Nicole’s.

Melody Thornton. After Fashion Rocks, it looks like Melody caught the Herve Leger bug. She has worn the purple dress to the “Resurrecting the Champ” premiere last in August. The grey dress she wore to the IGA Party at Blush and the cute pink dress she wore to her surprise birthday party last month.

Multi-Coloured

Lindsay Lohan wore the multi-coloured dress to Maxim Hot 100 party this year. Amanda Bynes wore this blue and black dress to the US Weekly’s Hot Hollywood event last month. CIRCA creative director Fabiola Beracasa wore a beautiful multi-coloured dress to a society event.

Black & White

Sophia Bush wore this strapless black and white striped dress to the Teen Choice Awards in August. Nelly Furtado also wore a black and white striped strapless version to the Teen Choice Awards in 2006. Lindsay Lohan wore this monochrome number to the Cartier Cocktail Party in June 2006.

This style of dress is currently available from Net-A-Porter.com.

It is a Black and taupe halter neck stretch bandage dress. It has a v-neck, panel detailing at the bust and a zip at the back to fasten.

Yours for only $1,480.

Ladies In Red

Kim Kardashian is wearing one of her many Herve Leger dresses. Here she is wearing a red one to the Maxim Style Awards last month. Catherine Zeta-Jones wore this dress to the ‘King Of California’ screening in August. Melanie Brown wore a similar, but brighter red dress out to dinner with her husband in LA.

Pretty In Pinks

Kim Kardashian wore this pink number to the Badgley Mischka swim-wear show at Miami Fashion Week in July this year. Megan Fox wore a pink halter to the MTV Music Awards last month. Kate Bosworth wore this salmon coloured strapless dress to the Whitney Museum of American Art’s party back in June. Maggie Q was stunning at the ESPY Awards back in July wearing this lilac dress. Nicole Scherzinger wore this fuschia dress to hosts an Evening at PURE Nightclub in September.

White Delights

Emily Blunt wore this dress when she collected her much deserved Golden Globe Award in January wearing an embellished gown. In January 2006, Eva Longoria wore this white dress to the ABC Network All-Star Party. Mariah Carey entertained the audience at the 2006 Grammy Awards wearing this white gown.

Nicole Richie wore this strapless white dress when she was presenting the Soul Train Awards in 2005. In November 2005, Keira Knightley wore this white halter to The British Independent Film Awards. Selita Ebanks wore this white dress to P Diddy’s Annual White Party this year.

In June 1992 Supermodel Iman and singer David Bowie were married. Iman wore a beautiful Ivory halter gown as her wedding dress. Kate Beckinsale wore this strapless dress to the “Live Free or Die Hard” London Premiere. Melanie Brown wore her white/silver dress to this years MTV Music Awards.

Black Beauties

Sharon Stone wore this black halter with lace detail to the “Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction” Rome Press Conference in March 2006. Amanda Bynes wore a black dress to the MTV Movie Awards in June. Pink wore a vintage sequined keyhole gown to the Grammy Awards in February.

Sheryl Crowe wore this lace dress to the CMA Awards in November last year. Vivica Fox wore this dress to her Birthday Party in August. Kelly Preston wore her dress to the “Death Sentence” premiere.

Jemima Khan wore this halter dress to the “Music And Lyrics” London Premiere in February this year. Ciara wore her dress to the Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Awards party in Febraury. Beyonce wore her strapless sequined number to the 2006 BET Awards.

Greys

Ashley Simpson wore this dress to the Fashion Rocks Event in September. Kim Kardashian wore her grey dress to the BET dinner in June. Kelly Rowland wore this mini dress for her performance at the BMI Awards.

Full-Length And Fabulous

Catherine Zeta-Jones wore this dress to the Dreamball Event and Jessica Biel wore this flowing monochrome gown to her “Stealth” premiere in 2005.

Café Latte

Kim Kardashion wore this strapless coffee coloured dress to the Cognac event this summer and Tracey Edmonds wore this full-length strapless gown to the BET Awards.

Who Wore It Better?

Both Jessica Simpson and Maria Menounos wore this strapless sequined dress in navy and green respectively. Jessica wore hers in May this year to the Cannes Film Festival to promote her movie “Major Moviestar”. Maria Menounos had worn this dress first in January of this year to the Golden Globes awards. I prefer the navy dress

Source & Source & Source & Source & Source & Source

Diane Kruger Loves Her...Jil Sander 'JIL' Bag

Diane Kruger Loves Her…Jil Sander ‘JIL’ Bag

Designer Of The Year - Herve Leger by Maz Azria

Designer Of The Year – Herve Leger by Maz Azria

20 Responses to Celebrities Love…Herve Leger

1. Kate October 9, 2007 at 16:16 #

There’s something wrong with Kim Kardashian, although I can’t seem to point out what. Anyways, lovely dresses, especially the longer ones. Love the blog! :)

• G April 15, 2011 at 18:40 #

What is wrong is that she looks like she’s about to pop out of her dress i.e. she could have gone 1 size up!!! She has an amazing body but girl you need to breathe!!! geez!!:)

2. Simge October 10, 2007 at 11:22 #

leger is one of my favourite designer. love feminine dresses!

3. Dana October 10, 2007 at 17:13 #

I’m not a big fan of his dresses. Out of all these pics you posted, the only ones I really like are Posh in orange, Sophia Bush, and Nicole Richie in white. And I can’t decide if I love that rainbow dress LL is wearing or if I hate it.

The thing about his dresses is that all the busty women look like they’re trying too hard. I’d only wear one of these if I was a stick. And I don’t want to be a stick.

Great post, though, it’s fun to see everyone in their Leger.

4. alldoneup December 13, 2007 at 01:53 #

They do look really flattering on those girls but the problem is not everyone has a celebrity body…lol, I love all the pictures, great post!

5. fashion addict December 18, 2007 at 18:15 #

Does all this not look like something seen before??
    It all appears to me as a vulgar and shameless copy of all the work by Azzedine Alaïa !!!!!! Real fashion fans will remember that Mr Alaïa first started his bandage dresses in 1984, famously worn by Grace Jones at the Oscars ceremony in 1985, among others! please please please, for the sake of fashion, give the king his crown back!

6. Anonymous January 18, 2008 at 04:44 #

I agree with “alldoneup”. I love this style of dress, but it just looks wrong on a girl with big hips and a flat chest (my 28-25-38 figure doesn’t even fit the sizing for these dresses on net-a-porter). Oh well.. such is life:(

7. Anonymous February 17, 2008 at 00:57 #

The only person that does these dresses beautifully is Kim Kardashian, not a fan of her’s but she is the one that brought my attention to the Herve Leger bandage dresses…..Melanie B runs a close second….

BTW Posh looks AWFUL.

8. Bella February 18, 2008 at 21:30 #

omg these dresses are so beautiful!!! I wish I had one!! :(

9. sharon March 1, 2008 at 02:44 #

FYI, you do not have to be pin thin to look good in Herve Leger dresses; in fact, they accentuate a curvy figure, and look even better on a girl with curves than stick insects. This is why Kim Kardashian looks better than anyone else in these dresses! If anyone has ever tried a Leger bandage dress on, they will know the ultra-tight fit is corset-like – the fabric is so thick and strong that it ‘binds’ your lumps and bumps the same way a girdle does. I am a size UK 12 (US8) – NOT rake thin, and I own 3 Leger dresses, and they look FABULOUS on – trust me, you need to try the bandage dress on to see what I’m saying! Also, there is a lot of stretch and give in the fabric – don’t be put off if ‘measurements’ aren’t exactly the size you wear – the dress literally moulds to your body – it’s basically made of elastic! You need to try the bandage dresses on to realise just how accomodating and forgiving they are!

10. Fashion Critic March 1, 2008 at 10:41 #

Sharon, I am a curvy size 10 and I own 2 of these dresses so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Of course you do not have to be rake thin to wear these dresses, that was not my point, my point is that Kim is ruining the brand, making it look like a cheap dress from Lipsy. That was and still is my objection to her wearing them.

Many other stars have worn the dresses and none of them have made it look like a hookers dress.

• Sassy chic December 1, 2010 at 23:25 #

Right on! I actually just ordered one myself. All the girls are rockin them except Kim Kardashian, she looks like a hooker! If I were Leger I would pay her NOT to wear my dresses. And LL would look much cuter with less fake bake ( skin should never match hair). And yes these totally remind me of my vintage Az A. But in those you have to have a sick figure and if you thought HL’s dresses are $$ AA’s are twice the price.

11. Anonymous June 24, 2008 at 19:08 #

i just picked up a leger dress over the weekend…i am quite petite, 32-25-34 and was able to get into an xxs and it looks really nice. i actually look like i have curves, which is always nice.

12. Fashion Critic June 24, 2008 at 19:10 #

I got an xs and I am usually a US4/UK10 and these dresses are amazing.

They give you curves you never knew you had. Case in point was when Rachel Bilson recently wore a cream one. She looked drop-dead gorgeous.

13. Anonymous July 2, 2008 at 17:15 #

Where can you buy these dresses?
    I really want the purple and grey dress victoria beckham has on but i cant find an online store that sells it

14. Fashion Critic July 2, 2008 at 17:45 #

that is last seasons style. The last place I saw it was on Intermix

15. Linda July 17, 2009 at 06:57 #

I bust size is 32dd or 34d but my waist is 25-26. Do any of you have a suggestion whether I should get a xs or small?

• Fashion Critic July 17, 2009 at 09:08 #

I’m a 34C and a 27 waist and I got a xsmall and it feels snug.

It’s quite stretchy. You could get away with either.

16. Lara January 26, 2012 at 01:00 #

The only ones I love out of these dresses is Nicole Scherzinger’s red dress, Rihanna’s blue strapless dress, Posh’s tangerine/orange strapless dress. The problem with Hever Leger in my opinion, is that the whole style is really repetitive. Yes, they are beautiful dresses but after looking at them a while, the designs all seem to melt into one a lot of the time. Another problem in my opinion is that they make them SO LONG! I’m only quite short, but I don’t class 32 inches a ‘mini dress’ on anyone unless you’re taller than 5″8. I love a lot of Herve Leger designs ( more so the vintage ones that Herve Leger himself designed, not so much the ones now that Max Azria has now) partly because they run small because all the HL dresses around now are all too big for my 29-22-29 frame. Contrary to the comments, I don’t think Kim Kardashian actually looks that good in these dresses. She certainly does not look bad, but sometimes it looks like the dresses are just a little too tight on her. Even the strapless blue dress on Rihanna( which is from the vintage Spring 1998 Herve Leger collection) looks just a little too tight in my opinion on Rihanna. It doesn’t look bad, just a little too tight.
    But Herve Leger dresses, as many comments have already said, aren’t really made for ‘stick figures’ or people on the skinny/slim side like myself. They’re made for more curvier women.

17. Annkay May 11, 2014 at 13:45 #

My waist is around 24.5 . Apart from that I’m not too sure what my other measurements are. But I’m considered curvy? I’m petite as well. I normally go for a UK size 8. Please do help! I’m planning to get a couple of HL dresses online. Would XS do?